Planning For Listed Building

How To Get Planning For Listed Buildings

Are you considering getting a plan for listed buildings, and you are unsure of the processes needed? If you are working towards a project with a listed building or just looking to learn the planning process, we have everything covered for you here. So, take the time to go through each section and equip yourself with all the legal must-know How To Get Planning For Listed Building.

What Is A Listed Building?

A listed building refers to a building protected from demolition without the proper authorization to carry out that activity. It is a result of the uniqueness in its architectural designs and its historical interest. Listing is, most times, based on the age of a structure. If a house is seen as ancient, there is a possibility of listing. Under the listing categories, three categories are used. These methods include

  • Grade I: This has to do with buildings that have an outstanding interest.
  • Grade II: It has to do with significant buildings and has attained just more than ordinary interest.
  • Grade II: Under this category are the buildings held in high esteem, and every effort is being to preserve them.

Most of the listed buildings fall under the third category. Most times, other structures located around the listed buildings enjoy the same benefit of being fully protected.

Who Administers The Consent?

It is in the hands of the local authority planning department, but the conservative officer oversees it. You can get the application form could either online or by physical appearance. If there is any need for advice, you can obtain it from the government planning portal website. Please note that the process is free, although some local authorities charge specific fees.

What About The Period Of Processing?

The smaller schemes take nothing less than two months, while the significant proposals are executed within three months and a week. In addition to this, you should expect three weeks for consultation. During the consultation period, local amenity societies, neighbours, and other concerned parties are consulted. If you wish to get things done without wasting time, it is better to make a pre-application inquiry; if not, it might linger. In a situation whereby the application has to do with a Grade I or Grade II* listed building, demolition, or is a complicated situation, the case will be transferred to the appropriate body. However, this can take a long and complicated posture. If this happens, you need to have strong historical backings about the property if any issue comes up.

What You Should Or Should Not Do

There are no exact rules to this without consent. This is because each building has its peculiarities. Your desire to preserve a structure and the feature that makes it unique and settling by a council depends on a granted or refused application. Therefore, you are encouraged to make a thorough investigation of the building because the information you have will be useful for “Design and Access” statements submitted alongside the application.

Listed Status

There is always a misconception and misinformation that the listing covers only the outside of the building. This is not true because, in some instances, there might be a replacement or repairing in the building, such as painting brickwork, or stone, or window changing, among other things.

Pre-application Steps

It is necessary to have a pre-application talk with your Conservation Officer to know if it is essential to consent. It is the officer that will direct you on the step to take. However, the backdrop of consulting the conservative officer is that most of them charge a certain amount by tagging the inquiries “consultation.” To avoid spending unnecessary fees, I advisable you to get the services of specialist external consultants to help with the application.

What If The Consent Is Refused?

In a situation whereby your consent is rejected, you should appeal to the appropriate body. The plans can also be amended based on the provided written advice, and with this, you can re-apply. However, you should be aware that the advice you will get is written in government legalese, and in most circumstances, it is virtually not appropriate. In case your application is rejected, there is a need to use a good consultant who understands planning law.

What Steps Should Be Taken If Work Is Carried Out Without Consent?

This process of carrying out work on a listed building is an act of crime, and it is punishable under the law. However, a planning authority can reverse all work that was undertaken without consent. Although there can be an application for the listed building, there is no assurance of approval. Besides that, they might still go on with the prosecution. Also, as an owner of a property that has not been granted listed building consent for work undertaken, you might face a severe challenge in selling such properties.

If you’re looking for a listed building architect, please get in touch and we will be more than happy to help in Planning For Listed Building.

About Muse

We are your Residential and Commercial Architects:

At Muse Architects, we offer a wide range of local architectural services to clients in Manchester and beyond. From building control in Manchester to office design project management, our team of experienced architects has the skills and expertise to handle any project. Whether you’re looking for commercial building architects or residential architects near you, we’re here to help. As a local architect near you, we understand the unique challenges and opportunities of designing buildings in Manchester. We specialize in Manchester residential architect services and work closely with clients to create beautiful, functional spaces. Our 3D property visualisation services, including 3D visualisation for city planning and interior design, are designed to help you bring your vision to life. Contact us today to learn more about how Muse Architects can help you achieve your architectural goals.